What is an EMERGENCY needing immediate care?
EMERGENCIES - A Reference Guide to Pet Emergencies
Download and save or print this PDF booklet >HERE<
Emergencies can be separated as follows:
The following is a general list of the most common medical emergencies.
This list in no way represents each and every possible emergency.
- Your pet isn’t breathing or you can’t feel a heartbeat.
- Your pet is having trouble breathing or has something stuck in its throat.
- Your pet collapses or suddenly can’t stand up.
- Your pet is unconscious and will not wake up.
- Your pet falls through the ice and is unresponsive.
- Your pet has had or is having a seizure.
- Your pet shows signs of extreme pain, such as whining, shaking, and refusing to socialize.
You see symptoms of heatstroke such as heavy panting, hyperventilation (fast breathing), increased salivation, pale or grey gums, weakness, confusion, vomiting/diarrhea, bleeding, seizures or coma.
- Your pet’s abdomen is swollen (bloat) and hard to the touch, and/or she’s gagging and trying to vomit.
- Your pet has been vomiting or has had diarrhea for more than 24 hours, or is vomiting blood.
- You think your pet might have ingested something toxic, such as antifreeze, rat poison, any kind of medication that was not prescribed to her, or a household cleanser.
- Your pet is bleeding from the eyes, nose, or mouth, or there is blood in her urine or feces.
- You can see irritation or injury to your pet’s eyes, or she suddenly seems to be blind.
- Your pet begins bumping into things or suddenly becomes disoriented.
- Your pet, particularly your male cat, is straining to urinate, or is unable to.
- You suspect a broken bone.
- Your pet has experienced some kind of trauma, such as, being hit by a car or a blunt object or falling more than a few feet.
- Your pregnant dog or cat has gone more than two hours between delivering puppies or kittens.
After Hours Emergencies:
Animal Emergency and Referral Group - 1237 Bloomfield Avenue Fairfield, NJ - 973-226-3282
Oradell Animal Hospital - 580 Winter Ave Paramus, NJ - 201-262-0010
Blue Pearl - 545 Rt 17 South Paramus, NJ 07652 - 201-527-6699
ASPCA Poison Control - 888-426-4435 (Phone consultation may be up to $65.00)